First aid for insect bites
For long, cold and dark winter days, we look forward to the summer – the sun, heat, flowers and greenery. But when it finally comes, to enjoy it to the full we are prevented by various “biting” insects – mosquitoes, midges, wasps, bees, ticks. And it would be okay if the whole thing came down to only minor inconveniences – itching and redness at the site of the bite. But in some cases, the effects of an insect attack can be much more serious. Along with redness, swelling, itching, an allergic reaction to poison can also develop. And this for some may result in anaphylactic shock and, if timely measures are not taken, even fatal. Children are especially hard-hit by insect bites.
Even the most ordinary mosquitoes, from which an adult only frowns annoyingly, can cause great harm to the baby. To minimize “losses” from flying and crawling “opponents”, you must be able to provide yourself and others first aid in time for insect bites.
First aid for mosquito bites
Most often, mosquitoes annoy us, which are activated in May, with the beginning of warm days. An ordinary “our” mosquito will not bring much harm to a healthy adult. (We will not consider malaria mosquitoes – after all, they are not found in our latitudes.) Of course, the sensations are unpleasant, and the mosquito squeak makes it difficult to fall asleep. But a small child or an allergic person may develop an inflammatory reaction: a blister, swelling, severe itching, an allergic rash, even an increase in temperature and an increase in lymph nodes. In very rare cases, anaphylactic shock may occur.
When these symptoms appear, you should see your doctor as soon as possible. And before that, wash the bite site with cold water and soap and treat with hydrogen peroxide, furacilin, vodka or another antiseptic. And try not to comb the wound. If the reaction to a mosquito bite is strong, then you can apply cold to the affected area, for example ice (wrapped in tissue), apply a lotion with soda solution (1 teaspoon per 200 ml of water) for 15-20 minutes, take an antihistamine.
First aid for midge bites
Unlike a mosquito, which only pierces the skin, the midge literally bites into it and eats it in pieces. In addition, it secretes saliva into the wound, which contains poison. That is why midge bites are much more painful than mosquito bites, and can cause more trouble. The bite site turns red, burns and hurts, the area near the bite strongly swells and itches, bubbles, nodules, and other rashes appear on it. If the affected area is combed, a wound occurs, into which the infection can get, and then it fests. But the most dangerous is a general allergic reaction to midges bites.
When biting midges, wash the affected skin with cold water and soap, it is better to do laundry and do not wipe it with a towel. Press down the place of the bite with your finger and hold for a couple of minutes. Treat with any antiseptic.
Itching and rash can be removed with lotions with soda or boric acid, special gels and ointments (sold at the pharmacy).
With a strong reaction, you should take an antihistamine and possibly an anesthetic, apply an antiseptic ointment.
First aid for bites of bees, wasps, hornets
These insects belonging to the order of Hymenoptera, unlike midges and mosquitoes, sting, as a rule, defending themselves, therefore we encounter bites of wasps and bees less often only if, without noticing, we step on or sit on an insect, touch it. Or we will wave our hands, driving away a wasp or a bee.
Hymenoptera, stinging, inject poison into the wound, which causes a strong local reaction – pain, redness, swelling. Bee and bumblebee bites are dangerous for those who are allergic to the substances that these insects secrete. Moreover, the severity of the reaction may be different: urticaria, severe edema, Quincke’s edema, anaphylactic shock. Swelling of the larynx and tongue is especially dangerous; it can lead to suffocation. Sometimes after a bee sting, shortness of breath develops, nausea and vomiting appear.
The most severe is a hornet bite. It is very painful and leads to severe swelling that spans a vast area. So, if a hornet stings you in the arm, then the swelling can spread to the adjacent part of the body.
If a bee stings you, then first of all you need to remove the sting from the wound, since the bee leaves it in the victim’s body, and itself dies. Wasps and bumblebees, as a rule, do not leave a sting, so they can attack again, and when they attack, we must first step aside. It is undesirable to kill a sting wasp, as then its sting will remain in the wound and the bite will be more painful.
Then the wound should be disinfected with vodka, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide or calendula tincture. To reduce swelling, cold is applied to the bite site, after covering the wound with a bandage or gauze.
You can apply medicinal herbs to the bite – parsley, calendula, plantain. Pre-washed and knead with hands. They will relieve swelling and reduce the pain of a bite.
In order to prevent an allergic reaction, antihistamines are taken.